We don’t usually comment on paid media but we felt we needed to train the spotlight oin this for two reasons:
- We love Flipboard as users and were pretty impressed by the numbers posted in the article.
- We always deplore the lack of creativity in the paid media (read: advertising) industry, especially on tablets and mobile, so this is a gigantic breath of fresh air in that respect.
This an eye-opening chart and the article it comes from has LOTS of really important stats for marketers to integrate into their thinking and planning. A small sample:
- Over 1 billion of the worlds 4+ billion mobile devices are smartphones and 3 billion are SMS enabled
- In the U.S. 9 out of 10 people are mobile subscribers
- Seventy-nine percent of smartphone owners use their phones for shopping
- In 2011, over 50 percent of all local searches were conducted from a mobile device
Cash moved one step closer to becoming obsolete with the August 8th announcement that Square, the mobile payments start-up would form a partnership with the Starbucks Coffee Company. Square will begin processing all credit and debit card transactions at Starbucks stores in the United States.
Facebook Mobile Ads Perform
Facebook is cracking the mobile advertising nut with its Mobile Sponsored Stories. Reported by Techcrunch, mobile sponsored stories by Facebook are getting 1.14% click-through rate at a $0.86 CPC earning Facebook an eCPM of $9.86. Compare that to eCPM of only $0.74 for their combined desktop ad offering.
That is a big deal given the $20B+ mobile advertising market opportunity.
Thailand looks set to proceed with the widest educational tablet deployment to date, after the country’s government finally signed an initial $32.8 million (1.02 billion THB) contract for a project that aims to deploy close to a million devices across the nation’s schools. (via Thailand Inks $32.8 Million Deal for One-Tablet-Per-Child Initiative)